Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr 20 min
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Plasma, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.1 nmol/well
产品名称Lipid Peroxidation (MDA) Assay试剂盒(Colorimetric/Fluorometric)
参阅全部 Lipid Peroxidation 试剂盒
样品类型Urine, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
灵敏度> 0.1 nmol/well
Lipid Peroxidation (MDA) Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab118970) provides a convenient tool for sensitive detection of malondialdehyde (MDA).
In the lipid peroxidation assay protocol, the MDA in the sample reacts with thiobarbituric acid (TBA) to generate a MDA-TBA adduct. The MDA-TBA adduct can be easily quantified colorimetrically (OD = 532 nm) or fluorometrically (Ex/Em = 532/553 nm). This assay detects MDA levels as low as 1 nmol/well colorimetrically and 0.1 nmol/well fluorometrically.
The MDA assay is also refered to as a TBARS assay.
Lipid peroxidation assay protocol summary:
- add TBA solution to samples and standards, incubate at 95ºC for 60 min, cool in ice bath for 10 min
- transfer to wells of microplate
- analyze with microplate reader
For higher sensitivity, precipitate with n-butanol, centrifuge, dry and resuspend pellet before analysis.
Chinese protocol available. See protocols section below.
For an alternative MDA assay, without the heating steps required in the TBARS assay, try MDA assay ab233471.
Lipid peroxidation refers to the oxidative degradation of lipids. In this process free radicals take electrons from the lipids (generally in cell membranes), resulting in cell damage. Quantification of lipid peroxidation is essential to assess oxidative stress. Lipid peroxidation forms reactive aldehydes such as malondialdehyde (MDA) and 4-hydroxynonenal (4- HNE) as natural bi-products. Malondialdehyde (MDA) and 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE) are often used as markers of lipid peroxidation, and to assay for oxidative damage / oxidative stress.
Review the oxidative stress marker and assay guide, or the full metabolism assay guide to learn about more assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
Also see the popular 4-HNE Assay Kit ab238538 as an alternative marker of lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress.
How other researchers have used Lipid Peroxidation Assay Kit ab118970
The MDA/TBARs assay kit has been used in publications in a variety of sample types, including:
- Human: serum1, hippocampal primary cell extracts2, A375 cultured cell lysates3, plasma and platelet samples4
- Mouse: neuronal cell lysates5, heart tissue extract6, plasma7, cell extracts8
- Rat: hippocampal tissue extracts9, cardiomyocyte extracts of cultured cells10, lung lysates11
- Pig: serum12
References: 1 - Shen J et al. 2018, 2 - Wang Q et al. 2019, 3 - Luo M et al. 2018, 4 - Mustafa AG et al. 2018, 5 - Murphy K et al. 2018, 6 - Guan F et al. 2019, 7 - Costa CRC et al. 2018, 8 - Eleftheriadis T et al. 2019, 9 - Malekiyan et al. 2019, 10 - Zhou Z et al. 2018, 11 - Li L et al. 2018, 12 - Lee SE and Kang KS 2019
存放说明Store at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
组件 标识符 100 tests BHT Purple 1 x 1ml MDA Lysis Buffer WM 1 x 25ml MDA Standard (4.17M) Yellow 1 x 100µl Phosphotungstic Acid Solution NM 1 x 12.5ml TBA NM 4 vials
相关性Lipid peroxidation refers to the oxidative degradation of lipids and is a well-defined mechanism of cellular damage. The formation of lipid peroxidation products leads to spread of free radical reactions leading to cell damage.
Hichor M et al. used the TBARS assay / MDA assay ab118970 to study the role of LXRs in the regulation of oxidative stress in peripheral nerves.They identified that in sciatic nerves in LXR knockout mice (LXRdKO), the MDA concentration was significantly increased, and that this was corrected by the treatment of mice with the anti-oxidant ROS scavenger N-acetylcysteine (NAC).
Ravarotto V et al. used Lipid Peroxidation Assay Kit ab118970 to assess oxidative stress in Fabry disease. They identified that MDA levels are higher in Fabry patients, indicating higher levels of oxidative stress.
The MDA concentration was measured in plasma from Fabry patients compared to healthy control patients. Data are shown ±SEM. *: p = 0.01.
Typical MDA standard calibration curve using colorimetric reading.
Typical MDA standard calibration curve using fluorometric reading.
Measurement of MDA in human plasma (20 µl) and rat liver lysate (10 mg).
ab118970 被引用在 216 文献中.
- Wang K et al. Branched-chain amino acid aminotransferase 2 regulates ferroptotic cell death in cancer cells. Cell Death Differ 28:1222-1236 (2021). PubMed: 33097833
- Ito J et al. Iron derived from autophagy-mediated ferritin degradation induces cardiomyocyte death and heart failure in mice. Elife 10:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33526170
- BinMowyna MN & AlFaris NA Kaempferol suppresses acetaminophen-induced liver damage by upregulation/activation of SIRT1. Pharm Biol 59:146-156 (2021). PubMed: 33556299
- Fan H et al. Spent Hen Muscle Protein-Derived RAS Regulating Peptides Show Antioxidant Activity in Vascular Cells. Antioxidants (Basel) 10:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33671990
- Louwagie EJ et al. Mitochondrial Transfer Improves Cardiomyocyte Bioenergetics and Viability in Male Rats Exposed to Pregestational Diabetes. Int J Mol Sci 22:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33673574