Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Plasma, Tissue Extracts
产品名称Lipid Hydroperoxide (LPO) Assay试剂盒
样品类型Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
范围0.25 nM - 5 nM
种属反应性与反应: Mammals, Other species
Abcam's Lipid Hydroperoxide (LPO) Assay Kit (ab133085) measures the hydroperoxides directly utilizing the redox reactions with ferrous ions. Hydroperoxides are highly unstable and react readily with ferrous ions to produce ferric ions. The resulting ferric ions are detected using thiocyanate ion as the chromogen. Since this method relies on the measurement of ferric ions generated during the reaction, ferric ions present in the sample are a potential source of error. Also, many biological samples contain hydrogen peroxide which readily reacts with ferrous ions to give an over-estimation of lipid hydroperoxides. These problems are easily circumvented by performing the assay in chloroform.
An easy to use, quantitative extraction method was developed to extract lipid hydroperoxides into chloroform and the extract is directly used in the assay. This procedure eliminates any interference caused by hydrogen peroxide or endogenous ferric ions in the sample and provides a sensitive and reliable assay for lipid peroxidation.
Quantification of lipid peroxidation is essential to assess the role of oxidative injury in pathophysiological disorders. Lipid peroxidation results in the formation of highly reactive and unstable hydroperoxides of both saturated and unsaturated lipids. Traditionally, lipid peroxidation is quantified by measuring malondialdehyde (MDA) and 4-hydroxy nonenal (4-HNE), the degradation products of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) hydroperoxides.
Sensitive colorimetric assays have been developed to measure these aldehydes. However, these assays are non-specific and often lead to an over-estimation of lipid peroxidation. There are important additional problems in using these by-products as indicators of lipid peroxidation. The by-product formation is highly inefficient and varies according to the transition metal ion content of the sample. Only hydroperoxides derived from PUFAs give rise to these by-products. For example, 4-HNE is formed only from omega-6 PUFA hydroperoxides and is catalyzed by transition metal ions like ferrous.
Decomposition of hydroperoxides derived from abundant cellular lipids such as cholesterol and oleic acid does not produce MDA or 4-HNE. These factors can lead to an under-estimation of lipid peroxidation. MDA is also produced in ng/ml concentrations by the platelet enzyme thromboxane synthase during whole blood clotting and platelet activation. This leads to gross over-estimation of lipid peroxidation. Estimation of lipid hydroperoxide levels range from 0.3-30 µM depending on the method used. However, direct methods of estimation suggest that the concentration in normal human plasma is approximately 0.5 µM. Given the limitations of the indirect methods, direct measurement of hydroperoxides is the obvious choice.
Review the oxidative stress marker and assay guide, or the full metabolism assay guide to learn about more assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
存放说明Please refer to protocols.
组件 100 tests Lipid Hydroperoxide Standard 1 vial LPO Assay Extract R 1 vial LPO Assay FTS Reagent 1 1 vial LPO Assay FTS Reagent 2 1 vial LPO Assay Triphenylphosphine 1 vial
ab133085 被引用在 8 文献中.
- Amuno S et al. Neuropathological changes in wild muskrats (Ondatra zibethicus) and red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) breeding in arsenic endemic areas of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (Canada): Arsenic and cadmium accumulation in the brain and biomarkers of oxidative stress. Sci Total Environ 704:135426 (2020). PubMed: 31822412
- Lokugamage N et al. Antigen-Based Nano-Immunotherapy Controls Parasite Persistence, Inflammatory and Oxidative Stress, and Cardiac Fibrosis, the Hallmarks of Chronic Chagas Cardiomyopathy, in A Mouse Model of Trypanosoma cruzi Infection. Vaccines (Basel) 8:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32098116
- Lin R et al. Quercetin Suppresses AOM/DSS-Induced Colon Carcinogenesis through Its Anti-Inflammation Effects in Mice. J Immunol Res 2020:9242601 (2020). PubMed: 32537472
- Hou L et al. Inhibition of NADPH oxidase by apocynin prevents learning and memory deficits in a mouse Parkinson's disease model. Redox Biol 22:101134 (2019). PubMed: 30798073
- Shekh K et al. Species and life-stage specific differences in cadmium accumulation and cadmium induced oxidative stress, metallothionein and heat shock protein responses in white sturgeon and rainbow trout. Sci Total Environ 673:318-326 (2019). PubMed: 30991321
- Naderi M et al. Dopaminergic dysregulation and impaired associative learning behavior in zebrafish during chronic dietary exposure to selenium. Environ Pollut 237:174-185 (2018). PubMed: 29482023
- Koštál V et al. Physiological basis for low-temperature survival and storage of quiescent larvae of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. Sci Rep 6:32346 (2016). PubMed: 27573891
- Schulman A et al. Antioxidant and Renoprotective Effects of Mushroom Extract: Implication in Prevention of Nephrolithiasis. J Clin Med Res 8:908-915 (2016). PubMed: 27829958